Friday, February 16, 2007

27. Librarians Censoring Children's Books?

It seems impossible, but there is a small backlash against this year's winner of the Newbery (The Higher Power of Lucky). Some librarians are saying they won't purchase the book for their libraries, despite its prestigious award, because it contains the word -- scrotum.

I almost laughed out loud when I read this, but then found out this is a true storm of protest.

LibrarianCensorship

I can't imagine this happening here in Saipan. I hope it never does.

Words do have power. We need to let our children learn as many words as they can and how and when to use them.

And they need to know that the word scrotum is just a word for a body part. Men keep their scrotums under cover, but that's no reason to hide the word.

3 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

I'd like to say this sort of thing is hard to believe, but it's not.
Here in Alberta a few years ago some parents presented their MLA with a petition to ban one of the classics from the school curriculum. I think it was "The Grapes of Wrath."
I agree with your point about words. What's the point of having proper words, or any words, if we don't use them?
Sigh. If some people had their way, we'd still be grunting and pointing.
Thanks for stopping by The Goat's Lunch Pail. I appreciate that you took the time to visit and comment.

writtenwyrdd said...

That IS rather Victorian, isn't it?

By the way, let me know when you write that book, lol. Seriously. Hey, maybe we can both play hooky and collaborate... (Kidding, mostly.)

KAP said...

Did one person start the hubbub or was there some great groundswell?

Words are just words, we filter them through our sensibilities.