Saturday, January 20, 2007

3. Return to the edge of paradise

P.F. Kluge is in Saipan. He's an author with a commendable history. WikipediaonKluge I've heard of Fred for years. I've read The Edge of Paradise (touching and true and so Micronesian). Having learned late last year about his probable visit this month, I borrowed Biggest Elvis to read before he came. And I made sure that this time, I would meet Fred in person. My purpose--glean some pearls of wisdom about becoming a successful (i.e. published) WRITER.

Fred was charming. I already knew he'd be intelligent. And he's in Saipan, heading to Palau later this month, to soak up the most current tempo, the threads and chatter and beat that throbs under the crash of waves on the beach and beyond the sirena through the trees. So clearly, lesson number 1 for a writer is be there, pay attention, observe.

I was hoping for more specifics. Fred is between agents and having a tough time getting a new one (or one he wants). This is disheartening news. I'm hoping to get an agent for my novels (two now). Somehow it seems that an author who can score a book blurb from Martin Scorsese should not have "trouble getting an agent" stories to tell.

As we chatted, I found myself giving more information than I got--the names of writing blogs I like, details about life in Saipan, opinions on political issues. Fred is a master interviewer. And so I inadvertantly hit upon that second important writing lesson, which is a whole lot like the first one. Ask and listen, but say less.

Really. I should already have known that.

Did I catch any new tidbits about the personal writing habits of a "real" author? Well, at least this--P. F. Kluge doesn't read novels while he's writing.

Perhaps he just wanted to head off any possibility that I would ask him to read my manuscripts!

Oh well.

No comments: