Monday, November 9, 2020

 2020-11-09 Monday, 7pm. Mars rising in the eastern sky. Tropical warm evening.

I've been inside all day, so checking the weather to write that opening line gives me a little connection with the outside world, and is regenerating!

NaNoWriMo. I have been making promises to myself, and breaking them daily. I wanted to write 10,000 words this weekend to get ahead. I barely made 4K to just catch up.

The horror of my writing this 2020 NaNoWriMo story is that it is revealing a lot of flaws in the adult historical fiction I wrote and submitted for publication. The  adult novel timeline is a mess. I really, really worked on it. I went over and over it. I have charts. I have graphs. I have different characters with specific arcs. I spent months editing. And now, by doing a middle-grade story of just one boy who shows up in the adult novel as frequent background and echo, I've found that I have him in three places on the same day--not three places close by where he might have been. No. Three places hours apart in a historical setting where walking is the only option for him and he's 12! Doing all these things on the same day. And it has been like that from the start, in other places. Character actions not lining up with the timeline that would be realistic. Gah!

Facing these problems takes the edge off the fun of writing freely for NaNoWriMo. I've never felt so uninspired and sluggish. 

It helps that we have election returns. Whether they will hold up to the onslaught of narcissism and political feuding remains to be seen. That uncertainty also erodes the forward march of creativity.

Here's to everyone writing.

#NaNoWriMo #NaNoWriMo2020 #WritingCommunity 



No comments: