Sunday, March 4, 2007

39. The Weather

Yes, I'm going to blog about the weather. In Saipan, the weather is usually a given--mid 80's, sunny, breezy, occasional showers. You can give this weather prediction for almost every day of the year--high 80's in the "summer" months, and low 80's in the "winter" months, some other variations, (less rain in dry season, more in rainy season), but really, the most consistent temperature and weather in the world--that's Saipan. So weather becomes a part of the background.

But today was not typical. The temperature hovered around 70 degrees all day--even in the middle of the afternoon. That's one degree above the 60's, which are NOT tropical temperatures. And the incessant rainy mist was downright unpleasant.

All in all, it was a good day for a murder mystery. I'm in the middle of two--both by Stephen Greenleaf. I loaned the first one I was in the middle of reading to a friend who found herself suddenly in the hospital. So then I started the second one. Now my friend is too sick to read, having moved to ICU, so I got the first one back. And I read while she sleeps, or when I'm cozying up to a hot cup of coffee somewhere. Does anyone else read two books at the same time? And two murder mysteries?! I find it rather enjoyable.

Also, it was a good day for soup. I like to eat soup (never slurp!). On a cold, gray, wet day, nothing beats some hot soup. I tried the Thai soup at Cafe at the Park today. It was yummy. Pica and maipe.

Did you notice--I got no editing done (even though it's nanoedmo--see post # 38). I'll blame my lack of progress on the weather! And now, back to the mysteries (books, I mean).

2 comments:

Samatakah said...

Years and years ago, Woody Allen had a joke about California that goes something like this:

When it's 95F in New York, it's 70F in California. When it's 15F in New York, it's 70F in California. And there are millions of interesting people in New York, and 70 in California...

- a native Californian (northern, doncha know)

KAP said...

Northern is almost acceptable. The late Tom McCall was beloved in Oregon for saying please visit but don't stay.

Did you ever hear about the State of Jefferson kooks?