Friday, March 9, 2007

43. Great News--A Trend We Love: Teen Reading

Teens are reading more. Buying more books, too. TeensReading Thanks to Seattle for spotting this trend and reporting about it.

I'm glad to see the quality of YA literature recognized. I'm tired of hearing people say that there are no good books for kids, because the opposite is true.

I'm not surprised that Cecilia Goodnow (the Seattle Intelligencer reporter) mentions Harry Potter. JKRowling deserves credit for inciting a reading revolution (and opening children's books to an adult audience as well).

The trend includes a growing fascination with manga (the graphic novel). We have the benefit of Japanese influence here in Saipan, and Japanese manga is available at our local bookstore. It is popular with kids here, and provides an easy transition from television to books. I'm in the middle of a unique blend of (American) graphic novel and traditional story right now--reading THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET by Brian Selznick. Look for my review soon in the Marianas Variety.

ON A RELATED NOTE: You can scroll down GalleyCat's site to find a poll on how you find books to add to your TBR (to be read) list.

4 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Were you aware that Jacketflap has your entire blog I think, with all sorts of ads on it? Not sure if this is a splogging rip off or not.

Go to http://www.jacketflap.com/megablog/index.asp?blogid=478&reload=yes or google "saipanwriter jacketflap"

Saipan Writer said...

I signed up at Jacketflap. I think they roll through their members' blogs as a way of promoting and sharing information. I should probably go over there and change my setting to the first 150 words or something.

Thanks for the concern.

writtenwyrdd said...

Hey, I google myself for more than just narcissistic need to see me on the web! *grinning* I catch splogs of my stuff occasionally.

Anonymous said...

Writtenwyrdd, it's great that you're looking out for Sapian Writer's blog! I wanted to be sure it's clear that JacketFlap is not a splogging rip-off. Our site a resource of all sorts of information related to children's book publishing. One of the things we offer is a Blog reader, somewhat like Bloglines or Google Reader, that comes pre-loaded with several hundred blogs related to children's book publishing. Our site is free, and we do plan on supporting it with ads. However, so far, it most definitely does not have "all sorts of ads on it". The only thing we have is a "featured book" that appears on each page. Anyone can buy that spot to feature their book to our site's visitors and members. Please take a look through our site, and let me know if you have any questions!

Tracy