Saturday, October 4, 2008

280.. Interesting historical note

So I'm researching for my Nanowrimo novel. And found this--on October 7, 1902, Guam was rocked by more than 180 earthquake shocks! Reported in New Zealand news.

[My code isn't working so I'm having trouble linking.]

It's from the Wanganui Herald, Volume XXXVI, Issue 10768, 8 October 1902, Page 3 (try this and put in Guam earthquake for your search term).


Not relevant for the time period I'm hoping to write about, but a bit interesting.

3 comments:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

There used to be man'amko here back in the 70s who told about a tsunami (at that time they called it a tidal wave) that hit the Tanapag and Northern Garapan (Micro Beach) area pretty hard. I've never seen anything substantial on that incident. The "event" must have taken place in the 1800s or very early 1900s I'm guessing.

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Curse you Jane. That "Paperspast" link is wonderful. Now I'm going to be up all night reading old newspapers :} Thanks.

Saipan Writer said...

So glad I can contribute to someone else's insomnia!