Monday, October 13, 2008

285. Words on the Brink

Another bit of news--Words disappearing from dictionary.

Read about it here. Some of these words are roborant, imho!

I voted in the poll to save words, but some of the polling booths are already closing. If you want to save any of these words, better hurry over and vote.

I voted for words I thought would not have large followings, because I'd like to save all of the words, if that makes sense.

My choices:
Exuviate--to shed (a skin or similar outer covering)
Muliebrity--the condition of being a woman (because we know it's a condition!)
Olid--foul smelling (the only word on the list I actually knew).

Close seconds-the ones I would have voted for if I hadn't been trying to save them all:
Embrangle--to confuse or entangle
Fubsy--short and stout, squat
Skirr--a whirring or grating sound, as of the wings of birds in flight

And words for this year's NaNoWriMo effort:
Malison--a curse
Niddering--cowardly
Villipend--to treat or regard with contempt

I like them all, really!

4 comments:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Of all the words listed in your post.. the only one I've ever seen used in my lifetime is "villipend".

They're still words.. I'm sure they'll make some dictionary somewhere. Right?

KAP said...

I've always had a strange affection for 'olid'.

Samatakah said...

I've run across "skirr" many times.

I thought "muliebrity" would be something like "the condition of being a famous mule."

Saipan Writer said...

famous mule, woman...some man must have thought there was a resemblance! LOL!