Tuesday, February 13, 2007

23. Testimony before Congressional Committee

I second this opinion.

LetterToTheEditor

I wouldn't put my words in all caps to make my points--it isn't necessary. And I'd note that Lauri Ogumoro is not the director of Karidat, she's the head of their shelter and Angie Guerrero is the director. Other than these small quibbles, I completely agree with Jim Ross's assessment and share his sentiments.

I'd also emphasize that the women testifying for Karidat declined the offer from the Department of Interior to pay their expenses connected with the trip to D.C. to testify. I wish everyone would be so ethical.

You can read Lauri's testimony here. OgumoroTestimony

You can find a listing of who has testified before the U.S. Senate Committee, with links to their comments, here. U.S.SenateCommitteeOnEnergy

Bishop Camacho and the contingent who represented him at the hearings testified well and presented the community's input--we're ready for change. Our Lieutenant Governor and representative from the Chamber of Commerce spoke for their private interests, regardless of what the people want.

I hope the U.S. Senate gets the people's message.

3 comments:

KAP said...

I think you mean this link

Happens all the time with the Marianas Variety They change the link when a story is moved into the archives. It will *probably* be permanent now.

When I saw Aquino's letter, I couldn't figure out what you meant. He always throws out these shopping lists of issues so it's impossible to respond.

Saipan Writer said...

Thanks, Ken.
I've fixed the link. I didn't know the MV changed links when it archived its materials.

KAP said...

Another school of thought maintains that their website is haunted. Some stories just disappear.

You have to admire the wonderful, perverse nature of our world when you ponder the link yours was replaced with.