Wednesday, February 28, 2007

37. What They're Hearing About Us in D.C.

Or a redux of my post #35.

Go listen to the radio broadcast of the Kojo Nnamdi show. You'll hear an interesting analysis about the similarities and differences of the territories.

Of course, I listened most closely for discussion of the CNMI. David Cohen sounds like a big fan of us. He says there's been tremendous progress since Congressman Miller's visit in the 90's.

I hadn't noticed such progress. I wonder if I'm blinded by my daily life here, or if Mr. Cohen is overstating the case.

I am very disheartened by the trafficking cases involving the Red Heart and Starlight/Stardust clubs. The harm to the women brought to those businesses sounds very much like the old cases involving the Kim Chee Cabana and Mr. Oh's nightclub from the early 1980's!

But D.C. is getting a reminder that there are territories besides them, that we have rights and needs, that we contribute but aren't perfect, and that some of the interesting issues in Congress at present involve us.

This is worth the listen.

1 comment:

KAP said...

The problem with progress is that it's defined by where you start from. So, of course, there's been tremendous progress.

Most of these people now seem to get caught sooner or later. I'm sure that's not very comforting to the victims.