Monday, February 26, 2007

34. Can't Breathe

The haze from the eruption at Anatahan lingers over Saipan today (Monday). Yesterday, when I didn't yet know about the air quality problem, I thought I was getting the flu. Today, I just keep coughing, can't breathe, have a headache. There's an advisory for people with "respiratory illnesses" to stay indoors, and I thought it didn't apply to me. But either I have such an illness or the warning is too limited in scope.

It doesn't help to drive around because the emissions from jalopies and tour buses and trucks go unchecked. Today, it seems that every other vehicle is spewing smoke and oil. This unregulated pollution isn't good for our environment. It isn't good for our "tourist industry." And it certainly isn't good for my health.

So it's not a good day in paradise, and I'm finished kvetching for now.

3 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

That amount of garbage in the air isn't good for anybody. For example, I had asthma symptoms until I left the big city, and I don't have asthma according to the docs. Pollution is just bad for you.

I just checked your temps, and as I thought it's like Hawaii and the humidity is over 90%. That air has got to be like breathing loose mud!

If you put a camp cloth over your face it might help, though.

I hope the misery ends soon for you guys.

writtenwyrdd said...

that was supposed to be "damp cloth" btw. Sheesh, I really cannot proof read.

Saipan Writer said...

Thanks for the clarification about "camp cloth." I wondered what it was!