Monday, February 19, 2007

29. Book Covers

I dream of having my novels published. I'm revising my first one again this weekend, so I have visions of it in published form dancing in my imagination. I can see just what its cover would like.

Often, though, authors dislike the covers that publishers commission. And authors have little to no input into the final product. In one recent case, an author, James Bernard Frost, dislikes the cover of his first published book so much that he has had his own cover designed and makes it available as a stick-on label! He invites new book owners to have fun coloring it.

stickercover

His version is a lot more fun that the cover on the book:
bookcover


You can read about his coverwars to get a sense of what's been going on. I don't think I'd mind, but perhaps after putting in so much effort on the inside of the book, it would be frustrating to have the outside come out "wrong."

No comments: