Friday, May 25, 2007

87. Why Would We Read a Sad Story?

I loved CURES FOR HEARTBREAK by Margo Rabb. You can read my review in the Marianas Variety here . But I expect there are many who shy away from stories and books that seem "depressing" or "sad." I do that, too. I won this book in an on-line contest and had it sitting on my shelf, but seeing that it was about a teen whose mother dies from cancer, I wasn't eager to dive into it.

What prompted me to read this young adult book was the recommendation on Roger Sutton's blog ReadRoger . Mr. Sutton is the editor-in-chief of the Horn Book Review, a periodical that I love (and subscribe to) because it discusses children's books, reviews the notable and new releases, and adds a bit of humor at the end. His glowing review of CURES FOR HEARTBREAK prompted me to start reading it. And the first page was enough to pull me in and keep me reading it until I finished.


So I've also been thinking about why we read books that make us cry and then we discover that we love them. Are we sadistic that we love pain and hurt? I don't think so.

This book isn't just a wallow in misery and sorrow. It is an epic tale of courage in the face of danger, an adventure into foreign territory, and most importantly, a shared experience. It isn't a sad, depressing tale, although it made me cry copiously--it's a celebration of life, the life of a teen who is strong, witty and capable of deep love.

By sharing that experience, by listening to Mia's voice in this book, we elevate our own grief and the need to cope to a higher level. We participate in humanity, in its fullest sense.

For me, the fact that I've lost my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, one of my best friends, and others to cancer doesn't excuse me from reading this book or others like it that are similarly worthy. This book renewed my spirit, and connected me to a little bit inside of me that is better than the rest, the part that loves, that expresses compassion, that laughs in the joy of life, despite the sorrows from the death of loved ones.

3 comments:

Bon said...

When I ordered "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion, I was very nervous. It is her journey through grief and what she describes as the vortex, and it gave me a whole new perspective on what it means to pick yourself up after a loss. Losing my Uncle Charlie last year broke my heart and this book helped.

Bree Reynolds said...

Jane, thanks for the interest in the play. I hope you can make it and then decide if you want to take your 13 year old. Mine is helping with props and has been coming to rehearsals. We talk about the characters and events in the story and the lessons she can take from it.

Anonymous said...

I recently read the book, "Such A Pretty Girl" and, despite the topic of child abuse, found it uplifting. It's one of the best books I've read in years! Sometimes the hard things, when treated right, provide a wonderful sense of redemption or hope.