Monday, May 28, 2007

88. Flame Trees

I heard there's a photo contest for the best picture of a flame tree.

My favorite photo is one I took a few years ago, of the huge tree at the intersection of Quartermaster and Middle Road.



Because I love flame trees, I took some earlier this month, in Garapan. So the first photo here is from that group. And in the spirit of the contest, I took some more on gray Saturday (May 26) at P.I.C. The rest of those posted here are from that series.

None of these would be award winners, but I love the colors, so I'm sharing them here.










I love the characteristic umbrella shape of the canopy. I love the twisted tangle of the trunk branching out. I love the beauty of the individual flowers and the form of the clusters, and did I mention the color. Flame trees make me happy. Love this season.

3 comments:

Bon said...

When I was little, we used to play with the little pieces inside the flower. We used to battle who's (stamen?) could break the other's off.

Bev said...

beautiful pics of the flame trees. I can't wait to come home and see them in full bloom.

Saipan Writer said...

As much as I love the Flame Trees, I am feeling a small twinge of nostalgia and longing for the pastel beauty of Spring in the states. I miss the color, beauty and especially fragrance of lilacs!